Norton Internet Security 5 for Mac
“Experts will always do things their own way and find faults with commercial apps but for the average Mac user who wants to ‘set and forget’, Norton Internet Security for Mac brings together the essentials of high-level Mac personal security in a simple, understandable way.”
- The Mac Observer
NEW! The complete security solution for your Mac with antivirus, identity protection and two-way firewall
Protects you against against viruses, spyware, software vulnerability attacks and more
Antiphishing filter detects fraudulent websites to safeguard your identity
Powerful two-way firewall shields your Mac from hackers
Confidential File Guard password-protects your important files
Works with Mac OS® X v10.7 (Lion) and Mac OS® X v10.4.11 - 10.6
WHAT IS NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 5 FOR MAC®?
Norton Internet Security 5 for Mac® is Symantec’s most complete security offering for Macintosh computers
. It includes the online threat protection
offered by Norton AntiVirus 12 for Mac
as well as strong identity protection features
. It also boasts a powerful two-way firewall
to keep hackers away and ensure your personal data never leaves your computer without your consent.
This latest release of Norton Internet Security for Mac® actually includes two products: Norton Internet Security 5 for Mac®, which protects Mac OS® X 10.7 (Lion), as well as Norton Internet Security 4 for Mac® which works with Mac OS® X v10.4.11 - 10.6. For the latter, both Intel® and PowerPC® processors are supported.
DO I NEED NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 5 FOR MAC®?
If you own a Mac and you frequently connect it to the Internet, then the simple answer is yes. Many people believe Macintosh computers are inherently better protected against online threats than PCs; while this is partly true, Macs are not perfect in this regard:
Simply put, a lot more computers connected to the Internet run on Windows® compared to Mac OS® X. Evidently, programmers writing the code of malicious software to steal people’s identities might as well target as many computers in one pass as possible. This is why Windows®-based computers are more likely to be targeted by viruses and other malware compared to Macs.
However, this does not mean there are no threats capable of doing damage to Mac OS® X-based computers. There is no better proof of this than the recent "Mac Defender" (also known as "Mac Protector") malware infections of millions of Mac® systems.
WHAT CAN NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 5 FOR MAC® DO FOR ME?
Online Threat Protection
- This is the level of protection offered by Norton AntiVirus 12 for Mac
- Viruses and spyware on your Mac® are automatically detected and removed. In particular, all your iPhoto® pictures, iTunes® media and iMovie® projects are scanned and protected against online threats.
- The Software vulnerability protection feature ensures that hackers cannot take advantage of any application "security holes" to install malware on your Mac®, which could allow them to steal your personal information or take control of your system, among other things.
- Your downloads as well as emails and instant messages attachments are checked for malware so you can communicate safely via iChat® or other means.
- Your protection is always up-to-date with automatic daily updates, which will never slow down your computer because of their small footprint
Identity and Data Protection
- Norton Safe Web identifies potentially dangerous websites directly in search engines results, so you know what websites not to visit from there.
- Should you decide to bypass search engine results, a powerful antiphishing filter can detect whether or not the websites you access are fraudulent. This feature, along with Norton Safe Web, prevents you from submitting personal, sensitive information to cybercriminals who are behind these "fake" websites.
- Confidential File Guard password-protects your files so only authorized users can open and view them.
- A two-way firewall shields your Mac® from hackers and ensures your personal data cannot leave your computer without your consent.
- Control who can connect to your computer and what connected users can do.
- Control what applications are allowed to connect to the Internet.
WHAT IS NEW WITH NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 5 FOR MAC®?
Besides adding support for Mac OS® X v10.7 (Lion), this latest iteration of Norton Internet Security for Mac® is now much easier to use: only the necessary information is presented to the user, the various settings are easy to comprehend and the most conservative ones are selected by default; of course, they can easily be tweaked by users.
Don’t assume you are safe from online threats just because you own a Mac®. Get a comprehensive security package to protect your sensitive data and identity: download Norton Internet Security 5 for Mac® today!
- Protection options for Mac OS® X v10.4.11 to 10.7: Includes both Norton Internet Security 5 for Mac® (for Mac OS® X v10.7, e.g., Lion) and Norton Internet Security 4 for Mac® (for Mac OS® X v10.4.11 – 10.6 running on Intel® and PowerPC®-based Macs)
- Norton Safe Web: Proactively protects you while you surf the Web by warning you of and blocking unsafe and fake websites right in your search results. (Mac OS® X 10.7 only)
- Antiphishing Technology: Blocks fraudulent phishing websites created to steal your identity and your money.
- Smart Two-Way Firewall: Prevents cybercriminals from hacking into your Mac®, stealing your personal information and messing with your stuff.
- Location Awareness: Lets you adjust your level of protection depending upon where you’re using your Mac® (at home, the office, the local coffee shop, on the road).
- Vulnerability Protection: Updates daily to stop cybercriminals from using vulnerabilities in applications and other software to sneak threats onto your computer.
- AntiVirus Protection: Protects your Mac®, iPhoto® pictures, iTunes® media, iMovie® projects and all your important stuff from viruses, spyware and other threats without slowing down your computer.
- Confidential File Guard: Password protects your stuff to keep it safe from prying eyes.
- Daily Protection Updates: Runs in the background to protect your Mac®—and your stuff—from new, late-breaking threats.
- Email and Instant Message Monitoring: Scans MobileMe®, iChat® and other IMs for suspicious attachments and other tricks used to steal your identity and your hard-earned money.
- FREE 24x7 Support: Symantec provides free 24/7 email, chat and phone support for a period of one year from initial product installation.
Note: this product actually includes both Norton Internet Security 5 for Mac® (for Mac OS® X v10.7, e.g., Lion) and Norton Internet Security 4 for Mac® (for Mac OS® X v10.4.11 - 10.6). As such, the system requirements for these two versions are listed below.
Supported Operating Systems
- Norton Internet Security 5 For Mac: Mac OS® X v10.7 only
- Norton Internet Security 4 For Mac: Mac OS® X v10.4.11 - 10.6 running on Intel® and PowerPC®-based Macs
Browser Support for SafeWeb and Phishing Protection
- Safari 5.0 and earlier
- Mozilla® Firefox® 4.0 and later
Minimum Hardware Requirements for Norton Internet Security 5 For Mac
- Mac® system with Intel® Core 2 Duo processor
- 2 GB of RAM
- 1.5 GB of available hard disk space
- Internet connection required for LiveUpdate security updates
- CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not installing via electronic download)
Minimum Hardware Requirements for Norton Internet Security 4 For Mac
- Mac® system with PowerPC® or Intel® Core processor
- 256 MB of RAM (512 MB Recommended)
- 150 MB of available hard disk space
- Internet connection required for LiveUpdate security updates
- CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Drive (if not installing via electronic download)
Instant Messaging Clients Supported for Confidential Data Filtering
- iChat® 5.x
- Microsoft® Messenger 7.0.1 for Mac
- Yahoo!® Instant Messenger 3.0 for Mac
- AIM® for Mac