Free Virus Scan And Removal
"Norton's fast installation and comprehensive feature set would be useless without solid performance, and Norton AntiVirus 2011 delivers extremely high third-party efficacy benchmarks and strong performance benchmarks."
- PC World, Antivirus & Security Downloads, September 2009
Get a free virus scan and removal of detected threats every day for 30 days!
Free virus scan and removal service for 30 days
Installation takes less than 1 minute on most computers
Impact on system performance is minimal
A credit card number is required but you won't get charged for 30 days
Cancel your trial at no charge within 30 days of the initial download
Free Virus Scan and Removal: How it Works and Benefits
You think your computer might be infected with a virus of some sort, or you just want to be proactive and make sure everything is fine. Maybe you don't want long-term protection, just a quick virus scan and removal of all detected threats to get peace of mind and know that your data is safe. Do you need a yearly subscription for this? A monthly subscription? Absolutely not. There are many ways to get an instant free virus scan and removal, however you need to be careful about products that are advertised simply as 'free virus scans', because they will not remove the threats they find. In order to get the threats removed, you will need to pay a fee, which really makes these products useless: now you know you have a virus on your computer (one or more, actually) but you can't have it removed unless you pay for a product you are not sure you want to keep afterward!
A better way to get an efficient, free virus scan and removal of detected threats is to use the all-new, award-winning Norton Antivirus to do this. Why? First, because it's free; second because it installs under one minute on most computers and has a minimal impact on system performance; third because you can get as many scans as you want for 30 days and know that all identified threats will be promptly removed. Better yet, new threats will be blocked even before they can get to your hard drive.
So how can you get a free virus scan and removal of threats with Norton Antivirus? Simply click the 'Download' button above and follow the directions. You will be asked to give a credit card number for your download to start your Norton Antivirus free 30-day trial, but you won't get charged anything. Then simply cancel your trial within 30 days to avoid any future charges on your card. We suggest that you think twice about canceling however, because if you want a free virus scan and removal today, chances are you might want one again in a month from now, two months, three months and so on. Indeed, without permanent protection your computer is always at risk to become infected, there is no way around this fact. While scanning your computer once is better than not scanning it at all, it's not a good long-term strategy to keep your data secure and your computer running like new.
While there's absolutely no obligation to continue using Norton Antivirus after your period of free virus scan and removal is over, we advise you to do so. You will get charged the cost of a yearly subscription (12 full months of protection) but that's very little money per month to avoid getting infected, having your computer wrecked or your identity stolen. These are some of the things that could indeed happen should you get a a virus on your computer, or maybe a Trojan horse or key-logger. Better be safe than sorry!
During your free virus scan and removal trial period, you will be using the full version of Norton Antivirus; there is no difference in terms of features between the free version you might be downloading in a few minutes and the paying version you will keep running on your PC in case you want to continue using Norton Antivirus - the latter being one of the best decisions you could make to protect your computer, personal data and identity, in our opinion.
Protects your PC against the latest known viruses, spyware, and other threats
- Norton Reputation Service instantly checks where files came from and how long they’ve been around to identify and stop new crimeware faster than other, less sophisticated security software.
- Norton Protection System uses several overlapping layers of protection that work together to stop viruses, spyware and other online attacks.
- Norton Pulse Updates provides up-to-the-minute updates that protect against the latest threats without slowing down your computer.
- SONAR 3 Behavioral Protection monitors your PC for suspicious behavior to quickly detect new online threats.
- Norton Bootable Recovery Tool creates an emergency CD/DVD/USB that gets you back up and running even if your PC has become so infected that it won’t start up.
- Bot detection blocks the automated programs cybercriminals use to take control of your PC, access your private information, and use your computer to send out spam and launch attacks on other PCs.
- Worm protection safeguards your PC against fast-spreading Internet worms and prevents you from accidentally passing them on to others.
- Rootkit detection finds and removes deeply buried crimeware that can hide other types of threats and allow cybercriminals to take control of your PC.
Stay protected without sacrificing performance
- Proactive performance alerts tell you when an application is slowing down your PC, so you can make changes to improve performance.
- Norton Insight identifies and scans only files at risk for fewer, shorter scans and the fastest scan speeds in the industry.
- Norton System Insight shows you how files and applications affect your PC’s performance to help you keep your PC performing at its best.
- Silent mode puts alerts and noncritical updates on hold when you’re watching movies or playing games in full-screen on your PC.
- Smart scheduler runs scans and updates only when you’re not using your PC.
Email, chat and share files without worry
- Norton Download Insight warns you if a downloaded file or application is dangerous before you install or run it on your PC.
- Norton File Insight gives you detailed information about the files found on your PC, including where the file came from (the website URL) and if it can be trusted.
- Email and instant message monitoring scans email and IMs for suspicious link and other potentially dangerous attachments.
- Vulnerability protection stops cybercriminals from using security holes (vulnerabilities) in applications to sneak viruses or spyware on to your PC.
Get the most out of your protection with easy-to-use features
- FREE 24 x 7 support for one year after initial product installation: get help and answers by phone, email, live chat or online whenever you need it.
- Norton Control Center organizes program controls and settings, and gives you one-click access to web-based Norton services on one easy-to-read screen.
- Norton Ongoing Protection automatically downloads software updates and new features in the background as they become available during your subscription period, without interrupting you or slowing down your PC.
- Monthly report tells you what Norton AntiVirus has done in the previous month to keep you safe from threats.
- Power saver settings maximize your laptop’s battery life by putting off noncritical activities until your computer is plugged in.
Supported Operating Systems
- Microsoft® Windows® XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 2 or later Home/Professional/Tablet PC/Media Center
- Microsoft® Windows Vista® (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate
- Microsoft® Windows 7® (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate
- 300MHz for Microsoft Windows XP, 1GHZ for Microsoft Windows Vista/Windows 7
- 256MB of RAM
- 300 MB of available hard disk space
- Standard web browser
- CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not installing via electronic Download)
- Requires Internet connection for product activation
Browser support for Vulnerability Protection and Phishing Protection
- Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6.0 or higher (32-bit only)
- Mozilla Firefox® 3.0 or later (32-bit only)
Email scanning supported for POP3-compatible email clients